Monday, June 26, 2006

Men in Uniform This Instant!

If you're a Safeway shopper, or have even just one strand of blonde hair, you might appreciate my humbling story. Here goes:

I'm shopping at my favorite Safeway store. I have a list and, of course, check it twice. I start the shopping spree on the right-hand side of the store, and work my way through the aisles to the far left. All along the way, eager Safeway workers constantly ask, "Are you finding everything okay?" to which I reply, "Yes! Thank you." And then another, "Can I help you find anything?" "No! Thank you."

When I finish my sweep through the store, I realize I never did find the Calrose rice I was looking for. So I head back toward the Mexican aisle on the far side of the store. None of the aisle headings say "rice." And I'd already checked the Mexican aisle to no avail. "Ah ha," I think. "This is the perfect time to employ these overly-eager employees!"

I round the corner. Lo and behold! A man in uniform! A very good looking man in uniform. The usual nervousness starts to creep in until I remind myself that overcoming Shyness Around Men Syndrome starts with small steps of boldness. And since I know these Safeway people are eager are to help, I simply decide that he's the one.

"Excuse me, sir. You totally don’t have to walk me over there, but I’m just wondering if you know offhand which aisle number the Calrose rice might be on."

He grins.

He's even BETTER looking. This is a great day. Thank you, Safeway! You've made grocery shopping fun again.

Then: "Uh, well, if I worked here, I would help you. Maybe this guy over here can tell you," he says and points to a young kid in an apron...a SAFEWAY apron.

I stop, wrinkle my forehead, and turn to consider what's different about what Attractive Man is wearing. It's definitely a head-to-toe uniform...but it's...


for FIREMEN!!!


Note to self and lesson for all: Firemen do not work at Safeway. Firemen shop at Safeway. And Safeway workers wear APRONS.

Sometimes we only see what we WANT to see, even if it's flat out WRONG. Is there something in your life where good looks are distracting you from the truth? Can you see something clearly, but are being deceived by your own one-track mind?

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like." James 1: 22-24. (Or, in my case: Any person who can look at a fireman and think he is a grocery store clerk...desperately needs a reality check.)

***********************

Missionaries have monthly newsletters.
Pastors have weekly updates.
And Jodi has This Instant!
WHAT:
This Instant is a branch of In the Moment Ministries (IMM). Subjects include anything related to living life and following God. Sometimes humorous, sometimes deep. Always random.
WHEN: Sporadically, in the moment I feel so moved to post one.
WHY: Several reasons: I’m a writer. I dig this stuff. Also, I’m jealous that my missionary friends have an excuse to send out updates to their supporters. I’m also easily inspired and need an outlet. Finally, I’m exploring God’s calling on my life. I feel led to focus on speaking and writing. (Not sure where the speaking part could lead, but I figured the writing part could start this instant!).
What’s with the name?
This Instant comes from my favorite story in the Gospels where a woman who was bleeding for 12 years was healed instantly when she touched the edge of Jesus’ garment. (Luke 8: 40-48). She was healed that very instant and, like her, we often need a fresh word or insight this instant!

In the Moment Ministries (IMM) sums up my desire to impact others “in the moment.” It’s the value of meeting another’s need at just the right time. God’s timing never fails to impress me. It’s not like we learn one thing, never to re-learn it again. Rather, His ministry to us is ongoing, moment by moment. And we have the honor of doing the same for others. That person who held open the door for you? They ministered to a specific need you had, right at that moment. The friend who called you “out of the blue,” right when you felt you had no friends? She was an in the moment minister. The opportunities are as numerous as we have moments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home