Sunday, October 06, 2013

Work for The Man This Instant!

I am a direct report to The Man, the president of my place of employment. I have worked for some amazing company founders and presidents in my life, but I have never been a direct report until now. It’s a whole new ballgame.

My boss is an honest, wise, articulate, bold and courageous leader. He is a go-getter. He’s a mover and a shaker. He knows how to get the job done, and he respects and values every person with whom he has contact along the way. He is a man of integrity, someone for whom I am proud and privileged to work.

Being a direct report changes the way I handle my daily tasks. I am up close and personal with the way my boss chooses to run the organization. And I know firsthand that he has high expectations, as any quality leader does. It’s not that he demands perfection, it’s that he expects excellence … in everything. He doesn’t have to say it in so many words, either. Everyone just knows. There is no typo too small or spoken word too insignificant that it doesn’t catch his attention. From the way I dress to the attitude I choose to have when interacting with our clients, I want to serve him well; and what serves him well is nothing short of my absolute best day in and day out.

I fear that we humans have forgotten that we are direct reports to God. And our God is no wishy-washy, mediocre leader … he is the founder and president of … the whole world! His expectations are high, high enough to make our heart skip a beat with the thought that we’ll never measure up. It’s not that He demands perfection from fallen humanity, it’s that He expects us to do our best because He wants us to become our best.

What if you had a healthy fear every day of losing your job as a Christian? What would you do differently? How would you try to impress your Boss? Would you dress differently, perhaps by adorning yourself with love and grace and kindness? Would you ask the Holy Spirit to empower you to imitate His character, not for fear of displeasing Him if you didn’t, but because you know that doing so brings you that much closer to becoming the person you were created to be?

“This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.” 1 John 5:2-4

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Jenny said...

Powerful. Thanks.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Enjoyed this analogy!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

nicely worded, Jodi- we are directly reporting to our Father- so thankful He is patient-but pleasing Him is truly what we want to do. Kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home