Saturday, December 08, 2007

Get Rich This Instant!

Get Rich

What is it to be “rich”?

A dessert would say: to be thick, heavy, and melt-in-your-mouth, all-around sinfully delightful. That is richness to the taste.

A scent would answer: to be distinct, desirable, and powerfully memory-evoking. That is richness to the nostrils.

The walls of a concert hall would respond: the depth of bass, the peak of soprano, and the perfect point where the two hang in delicate balance resonating with crystal smooth clarity. That is richness to the ear.

Nature would say: to be bright orange, purple, red, yellow, blue, and magenta all at once, splashed above that fine line where land meets sky on a mid-winter’s afternoon. That is richness to the eye.

The human would declare: to pad my 401k, to drive the latest model sports car, to travel often to exotic places, to afford my kids the finest in designer fashion, and to host holiday parties that leave my guests in awe of my home. That is richness to the flesh.

But how would a memory define richness?

A memory would say: to have laughed often and loved much; to have breathed deep the intoxicating aroma of RISK instead of treading the stale thin air of my comfort zone; to have wallowed in fleeting self pity because I sacrificed my personal wants in order to honor his … followed by inexplicable joy for having done so; to have said, “Yes,” when it would have been easier to say, “No;” to have been raw and vulnerable when I just wanted to put up a wall and hide my real feelings. To have experienced the thrill of conquering my fears and doubts by daring to achieve what I thought would be impossible.

What if richness no longer defined your goals for your pocketbook? What if richness had nothing to do with your stuff? What if you ceased the money-making mentality because the dream that it will somehow produce more merry-making … just never seems to come true? What if Jesus Christ really did shed His blood not so that your bank account, but your LIFE, would be rich?

“I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
– Jesus, John 10:10 (NIV)

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
– Jesus, Matthew 6:21 (NIV)

Life. Make it rich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home