Saturday, March 28, 2015

Give a Standing Ovation This Instant!

Sing, I cannot.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t know a great singer when I hear one.

It’s actually quite impressive how many of my good female friends could be making a living off their voices. I have one friend in particular who I’ve known just over a year now. I’d been aware of her love affair with singing because she speaks of it often. I could even vouch for her voice because we often worship together in church. But I had not known of her standing-ovation-worthy stage presence and particular gift as an opera diva until I witnessed it.

She invited me to a local talent show where she’d be one of several acts. It was an enjoyable evening showcasing many unique talents. The performers earned warm rounds of applause when they were through. But when my friend took the stage, everything shifted. The entire room froze. With only her accompanist at the piano, she began to reel the audience in with one impossible note after another. She had a glimmer in her eye and a hint of mischievousness in her presence. Her voice rang out and literally stunned the crowd. She was inspiring. She was mesmerizing. She was in her element, causing jaws to drop like dominoes.

She was absolutely phenomenal. The standing ovation proved it. I was radiating with pride; I could claim I was her friend before she became famous!

The truth is, though I spent a lot of time with her, I had not spent any time with her in this capacity – witnessing the very precious gift God has given her. And it blew me away.

I then thought about what it would be like to be with her regularly as she practiced. That is, I imagined what it would be like to be her accompanist. She would practice with my friend day in and day out, week in and week out. This woman was not moved to jump off the piano bench and join the crowd in applauding. Not because my friend didn’t earn it but because … because she was used to it. My friend’s voice, though amazing, had become a part of the accompanist’s everyday world. It didn’t diminish my friend’s gift, it just didn’t move her to the same speechless reaction the audience had.

Have you been blessed to be in relationship with someone who is completely astounding? Maybe it’s not a particular talent, but rather the many layers of their personhood that make them so unique and special. Do you fail to notice, let alone celebrate, their awesomeness on a daily basis? Have you begun to take this person for granted simply because you are their accompanist?

What if your admiration for this person wasn’t dulled by the dailyness of life? Would you faithfully stay by his/her side, at the piano, but be willing to jump into a few “standing ohs” every now and then?

“Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” 1 John 3:18

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”  Ephesians 5:1-2

 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger David said...

Great piece, Jodi! What a great word picture... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home